Rippling Conversations is a game that brings families together to spend quality time and create meaningful conversations through storytelling and crafts-making.
- Recommended number of players: 2 – 10
- Suggested playtime: 5 – 10 mins per round
- Suitable for all ages. Children under age 9 might require adult supervision.
- Fill the water tray to an appropriate depth (approx. 8cm) with room temperature water.
- Every player chooses a bottle of paint, each with a different colour.
- Use the conversation cards (reminisce, imagine, learn) and start chatting. Players can switch between the topics throughout the game.
- After sharing a story with the group, add a drop of your paint into the water tray.
- After several questions, the floating drops of paint would form a colourful, unique pattern.
- Once everyone is happy with the pattern, each player can pick an object of their choice (ice cream sticks, art papers, baubles) and dip it into the water tray together. Make sure there is space for everyone.
- The round ends with every player creating a memento — a visual memory of the conversations and interactions from the game. The objects could be repurposed to make useful items (bookmarks, keychains, ornaments).
Note: Marbling paint works on most surfaces. Touch-dry in 15 mins and fully cured in 24 hrs.
The questions were formulated from the previous SIMI Game I designed with Project Somebody, casual discussions with my peers, and from a new survey (32 responses).
- What is the first distinct childhood memory you remember?
- What is your fondest childhood memory?
- Share a favourite or a memorable family vacation.
- Describe your childhood in 3 words.
- How did you meet your significant other?
- How was your childhood home like?
- Do you have any memories of the war?
- What is the sweetest thing someone has done for you?
- Describe your alma mater. Do you have any fond memories of your school life?
- How was your wedding day like?
- Share a challenging time that you had.
- What is one of your greatest regrets in life?
- Share a funny or embarrassing experience you had.
- What was your first job like? How was it like?
- Did you ever have a pet?
- What was your favourite childhood playtime (toys, games, TV shows etc.)?
- Share an achievement that you are proud of.
- Share a mischievous or naughty thing you did?
- What is one of the best gifts you have ever received?
- Are there any special dishes in your family traditions? Do you have any secret recipes to share?
- If you were given a chance to relive your life, would you do anything differently?
- If you could go back in time, is there a moment of your life that you would like to revisit?
- How do you envision your life in the future?
- Do you have any unfulfilled dreams or aspirations? Could you imagine yourself pursuing them in the future?
- If you were given a chance to live anywhere in the world, where would that be and why?
- Name one thing on your bucket list. Do you think you could check it off within the next year?
- What are your ideal retirement plans?
- Describe your idea of a perfect weekend.
- If you could only choose one thing to eat for the rest of your life, what would that be?
- If you could go to a country or city that you had never been to, where would that be?
- If you were given the time and opportunity, what is one thing that you would like to learn?
- If you were given three wishes, what would you wish for?
- If you were writing a book, what would it be about?
- If you could teach a skill to another person, what would it be?
- If you could have another get-together next week, what activity would it be?
- If you could ask someone for a favour at this very moment, what would it be?
- Is there anything you wish you were doing more often?
- If you could choose to stay at a certain age forever, what age would it be?
- If you could throw a party in the upcoming month, what would it be for and how would it be like?
- If you could do something today that could make you happy, what would it be?
- Use one word or a short phrase to describe each person
- Who are your closest friends?
- What is one of your favourite songs?
- What is one of your favourite movies?
- What is one of your favourite books?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Are you a dog person or a cat person?
- What is your favourite food or your favourite type of cuisine?
- Say something you like about each person.
- What is your love language (words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, physical touch)?
- What is one life value that you truly believe in?
- What is one personality trait that you like about yourself?
- Do you have a favourite hobby, sport or pastime?
- What do you do to relieve stress?
- What is one of your greatest fears?
- Who is the superhero in your life?
- Where is one of your favourite places to go to?
- What is your favourite time of the day?
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- What is one thing you like about your family?